Welcome ! Come join me and find out what we may have in common


Picture a welcoming place to sit, a warm, friendly enviroment,

maybe a steaming cup of coffee or tea and a smiling face that is intereted in sharing many thoughts....I have a curious mind and if you are reading this my guess is you do too...let's share a few minutes and some conversation as friends old and new.































Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's Christmas all year long!!!

Genealogy is the most generous and supportive hobby I know.

Years ago when I first started my hunt, I learned
quickly how thoughtful and kind people you have never met can be. I remember someone answered a query I posted and said "I'll send you some information on your line" within a week a large brown envelope arrived in the mail. I was so excited...it answered several questions and gave me clear proof of the line I was
having trouble finding. Another time I was in New England and a lady from a small town met me at the library/historic society on a day she was not scheduled to be there so I could go through records. A gentleman from Dracut, Ma took my husband and I on a tour of their historical society/museum and search records with us .
A lady in Texas lent me two books (that were out of print) for as long as I needed them. We had only met and she trusted me to take these books home and return them in a timely manner.

Through the years I have tried to return the favors others have so graciously shown to me by giving others a start
and experiencing their joy when they learn of their ancestry.

Last year my husband and I taught a beginning genealogy class at our local senior center. We made a point to make sure everyone that took our class left having some information they did not already know about their family.
We were able to connect one of our students with her second cousin in Virginia. They had never met and did not even know about the other. It turned out they were both born on the same day of the same year! They each had some family information the other did not have. Now they call each other and keep in touch.
Genealogy is a hobby you can do alone, but how wonderful that online opportunities have made it possible for us to find "cousins" that we can get to know and  share our family stories , memories and solve family mysteries together.
At the end of 2010 I wish to THANK all of you who have shared your research so selflessly and brighted the day
of another. I THANK you all for reading my blog and sharing your comments with me...I look forward to
2011 ....shaking that family tree to find another ancestor.
"Isn't it strange the Princes and Kings
And clowns who caper in stardust rings,
And common people like you and me
Are buildres for enternity?"

No comments:

Post a Comment